Saturday, December 03, 2011

"Burn" by Three Days Grace on a Snowy Day

Today's literary concept: Irony. I know of irony that literary critics are impressed by good executions of it; I know that irony contributes to storytelling. I'm still exploring how. In order to do that, I'll try defining irony then start thinking about how it's used in literature.

Definition from the Oxford English Dictionry of "irony": A figure of speech in which the intended meaning is the opposite of that expressed by the words used; usually taking the form of sarcasm or ridicule in which laudatory expressions are used to imply condemnation or contempt.

This definition would seem to imply that irony, as a literary tool, can be used to provide a critique of just about anything. Successful irony, it would seem, comes about when an author might spend a great deal of time seeming to praise something, like cannibalism, while demonstrating how horrible it is. Scathing social criticism comes about through successful irony.

Or, perhaps like my song of the day, irony can be used to complain about weather. It's snowing here. I have a song about fire on the mind. Ironic, perhaps. Perhaps not, though.

I shall revisit the concept of irony. Fear not.

No comments: