Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I LIKE TO DREAM! part 1

"Yes, yes, right between my sound machine,"--John Kay

A whole bunch of my favorite song lyrics have to do with rock and roll. Not too strange an idea, really, just sort of circular, and self actualizing...or self defeating, depending on how you look at it.

I'm fortunate in that I am controllably ADD. That is to say, I can have divided and often opposing feelings about something and not overload or become confused. So to have many of my favorite songs in the rock and roll genre to be on the topic of rock and roll both pleases and displeases me. It pleases me in that these are things which describe something that I like. And displeases me in that these songs seem to have been lazy in their choice of subject matter. They please me in their representing the reality that rock and roll is open to many interpretations. And displeases me that much of the descriptors, ideas, and imagery are predictable, even if you've never heard this particular "I like rock and roll" song.

To be continued...

3 comments:

Nickel Halfwise said...

"I love rocky road..."

The One and Only John said...

It pleases me that you know what pleases and displeases you, but it displeases me that you haven't been talking more about whether or not more things displease or please you in relation to how other people's pleasures or displeasures please or displease you.

Mishell said...

So, what I'm hearing is that it is not that rock and roll speaks of itself that bothers you, but rather that it speaks of itself in over-used terms and images, no? Do you think the rock genre forces bad "meta-rock," or do you think that it's just laziness that creates it?