Sunday, October 21, 2007

The King of Cowboy Boots

WM excerpt:

"Heads I win. Tails I win too," said Ashley Ekuban.

---------

The Writing Marathon wasn't a creatively unproductive experience for me. The people, the places, quite encouraging; and I thought a lot, and I planned a lot. But I'm mostly in the middle of things right now, and I didn't do much writing on the day.

I like that first line, though. Heads I win, tails I win too.... From that sentence, from thinking about it, and making that name--Ekuban, Ashley...shaken, not stirred--I have a character, and I have a first scene.

Ashley Ekuban is going to be a freaking awesome dude. I've always loved cowboys. I've told people before that I wasn't one of these kids that wanted to be a cop, not really, or a fireman, or an astronaut. And I never wanted to grow up and be a cowboy. I sort of just wanted to be a cowboy.

Ekuban...

6 comments:

Ali said...

I like that the super macho cowboy character is named Ashley. It's funny. Like having a Jayne.

-John said...

I'll be honest, I read "Ashley Ekuban" and thought of a snotty, rich girl. I think I need more than the line about flipping a coin, person, beer coaster, or what have you.

Whittaker Luckless said...

No duh you need more. A whole book, I should reckon.

Ashley's a manly name. The manliest character in Gone With the Wind is named Ashley...or is it War and Peace? One of those ones I slept through. And a majorly bad-ass football player's name is Ashley. To find names with a great deal of machismo, turn to the NFL. In most cases--not all--you'll find macho names.

Ali said...

No, the manliest character in Gone With the Wind is named Rhett. Duh.

Whittaker Luckless said...

I didn't think Rhett were that manly. He ran away. Ashley got all kinds of crap but still kept on keeping on.

-John said...

Ash from the Evil Dead Series, his full name is Ashley.