Friday, November 18, 2011

"Scentless Apprentice" by Nirvana AND Thoughts on Clothes



Song of the day. Today is an interesting day. I'm hungry--which is not interesting. What is interesting is the following question: When we dress up, who are we trying to impress? The answer is different for different occasions, obviously. But in the event of spending a day with people that I neither want to attract nor influence, why might I dress a particular way rather than some other way? The easy answer is it's for my own benefit. Which it is. I feel better if I'm dressed better, leaving aside who sees me. But why is this so? Clothes are our trapping to be seen mostly by other people. Clothes are a statement meant to communicate something to people around us--I am grunge kid today, I am classy kid today, I am thoughty kid today. But on days when you know you'll spend them with people who don't care, what gain is there?

Strange thought.

No comments: