Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Definitions: Metaphysics, Epistemology, Anthropology

Before I continue in te blogosphere, I need to define three terms. I'm going to use these terms a lot. These definitions aren't mine. As a check/balance thingy to help my consistency, I'm paraphrasing the definitions commonly used for these terms by philosophers through the ages. Not because I'm much of a philosopher, mind. These definitions just seem the most useful, and they're the definitions that I use for these terms. So here they are:

Metaphysics: From Greek, "meta" is above, and "physics" is physics. Therefore, the physics above physics. That is to say, those most universal rules that govern reality.

Epistemology: From Greek, "episteme" is knowledge, and "logos" is words, or way, or science. Epistemology is the science of knowing. How things are known, what is known, how knowing relates to being, is epistemology.

Anthropology: From Greek, "anthropos" is man, and "logos" is words, or way, or science. Anthropology is the science of man. It tries to answer questions like, "What is man? How does he tick? What are his modes and motions and motives?"

I need to define these terms. Probably, they'll get scattered all over my blogging. And since metaphysics and anthropology especially have other definitions that a lot of people know, and I mean them in these philosophical senses, then I want to be clear.

Thanks. Bye.

No comments: