Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Most Dangerousest Game

Yesterday, the Vikings met for the third time. Last month, in our discussion, somebody started talking about beginning stories with dialog effectively. And, as inevitably happens when talking about what we've written, he mentioned something that he'd read that he thought was a good illustration of his point. "The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connell, he said was the story.

A couple days later, this brilliant Viking sent me an e-mail and said, "Hey, look, I found the story I mentioned on the interwebs. What say I lead a discussion on the technique I talked about?"

I was all over that, man. It sounded like a brilliant idea. I e-mailed the link to the other Vikings and said we'd discuss it.

Yesterday at our meeting, therefore, we discussed beginning a story with dialog in lieu of how Richard Connell with "The Most Dangerous Game" seemed to have effectively used dialog to kick-off his story. And we found some interesting stuff. It was excellent educationing.

Here's the story: http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/danger.html It's a good bit of fiction.

No comments: