Friday, June 13, 2008

Born to Be Wild

"I like smokin' lightning,"--Not Mars Bonfire

So I used to not really know all the lyrics of the Steppenwolf song "Born to Be Wild". I knew most of them, and I knew most of the verbs and nouns, and almost all of the vowell sounds--more important, really, in the game of telephone I was playing with myself. That was enough for me, because what I ended up doing was extrapolating a new set of lyrics.

Here's how my thinking went: verse one is about getting out on the highway, and going fast.

So my verse two went:

I like smokin' lightning, [outrunning it]
Stay ahead of thunder,
Racin' with the wind,
And the pyramid I'm under. [I didn't and don't know what this line means. I thought maybe it was a reference to creating a draft by going really fast.]

If you look up the lyrics, you find they don't say this.

Yeah. Brains are strange. I kind of like my lyrics better. Although "Heavy Metal Thunder" would make a good band name...

1 comment:

The One and Only John said...

I want to hear what you think the lyrics are to that "It's the end of the world as we know it(and I feel fine)" song, where they hit that really quickly delivered verse. I think starts with something like "six o'clock, panic shock, tembla, fembla, tritta, gritta, giddy yappa, piddly...you know, something like that.